2011/04/02

That's where we started: AFL Vanessa!

I remember it's 2005 I made my very first paper doll. The model is AFL Vanessa, still my favorite FR doll till today. I posted some pictures in Pink Parlor and get many positive responses, which encouraged me to continue. In the beginning I just did this for fun, but some people asked if they could buy some copies, I want to make the product better . So from 2005 to 2008, my AFL Vanessa went through several improvements as picture shown below.

Believe me, it's really hard for me to make these early images public. From my point of view today, they are absolutely NOT GOOD ENOUGH. The body proportion and color match are not correct, the details are so coarse; I'm really glad that I didn't sell anything at that time.

I have to thanks Micheal W., he made a interview for me on Haute Doll in 2008. From then on, I had a chance to make paper dolls for each issue, until the magazine ceased publication last year. With the practices, my painting skills are getting much better. In 2009 I started to think about this business(paper dolls) seriously. From the experience of publishing postcards, printing offices always ask a regular printing amount, which are much more than I can sell. So I bought a photo INKJET printer and tried the possibilities of self-publication.

In the same time I gave up the old artworks and made a brand new AFL Vanessa (2009 ver.), you can see she is much better now! Then I tried to print it out through printer, although it looks good, very pretty.... but the durability is a big problem, the color won't last long on the paper. What a big frustration! Then my first baby was born, I have no choice but suspend the program.

From 2010 to 2011, again I felt unsatisfied with this paper doll. I checked the details of real dolls and designed 2 poses. Finally decided that 2011 ver. will be the final version. The body proportion is more like real model. In those years things changed, I found some printing offices are taking orders for extremely small amount. Although the cost is much higher, but this will be more fit my needs.

Here are some pictures I have done.... The factory fashions in the gift set(as shown above). But there will be MANY other extra outfits as well! Yes the product will be in a book form, contains about 10 sheets.

I haven't finish them all, but beside the raven version, there are blonde and blue flame version as well. Each one includes over 20 fashions for playing with!I More pictures will be announced in the future, please don't forget to check here out!

By the way, the amount of first edition will be made-to-order. Considering the higher printing cost, the price for each book will be about $30.

2 comments:

  1. Your old dolls is good enough!! They seems little bit different then your news and I love them too. And your old body proportions is very sweet. One reason why me itself love drawing-I can make these not correct proportion. I always may draw what I want!
    Liivi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siyi,

    When will your book of paper dolls be available to buy? Thanks, Marsha

    ReplyDelete