2012/09/06

How I make a paper doll

Today I want to talk something about my paper doll making. Maybe some people will be curious about it. Take AFL Vanessa for example:

1.Draw drafts in Photoshop.
I usually use Photoshop to draw the drafts, it's not a software made for hand painting, but I have already get used to it. In the beginning I draw a nude doll, then add layers to draw other fashions. The most important thing is drawing each piece in different layers, so they won't interfere with each others.


2.Make vector images in Illustrator
There are some reasons why I persist in vector so much. Vector Images are much cleaner and sharper, they are also easy to edit in layout. The print quality will be nice since they won't lose resolution even re-sized. I usually track every color piece in pen or pencil tool, the process is very time-consuming but I love the result.


Sometimes there are some complicated parts on clothes, such like meshworks, chain or lace. If they are regular, I will made pattern or pattern blush to fill them.


3.Do the layout in Illustrator
After finished every pieces, I will add tabs on the fashions and shoes. Usually I will open a new A4 file to do the layout. I copy the objects (doll, fashion, shoes...) into the new file and arrange them to the good position, then add title and simple background design.


So far I'm still working on Step2, some fashions are not finished yet, hopefully I can share some preview images soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment